Description of job and tasks involved
- Drafting several national proposals
- Coordinating 6 and participating in 20 national projects
- Drafting several FP6, FP7, Horizon 2020 proposals from which 5 have been financed
- Coordinating FP7 CSA Discover Europe and Project manager for H2020 project (in negotiation details after finalisation of the negotiation)
- Participation in the implementation of 3 FP6 projects and 3 FP7 projects
SNE to European Commission DG R&D unit B4 Research Infrastructures
- Project Management, Support the follow-up of community research initiatives,
- Conduct conceptual reflections which should help elaborating work programmes, strategic documents and new approaches to the programme and relevant community initiatives and actions documents and new approaches to the programme and relevant community initiatives and actions.
- Provide relevant input(s) for Commission papers, communications or other documents concerning the European Research Area/Research Infrastructures
- Provide scientific and technical inputs for the co-ordination of activities with external organisations in order to ensure the success of initiatives and projects and the implementation of the programme.
- Provide scientific and technical inputs for the preparation and follow-up of work programmes and calls for proposals
- Provide scientific and technical inputs for the co-ordination of activities with Commission services in order to ensure the success of initiatives and projects and the implementation of the programme.
- Produce reports/minutes on [Working Group/Task Force] meetings to [participants/member institutions/others].
- Provide advice(s) and input(s) on specific files, policy development, and the definition of strategic objectives. Provide inputs and support in drafting the work programme of the Directorate. Provide support to other EU policies.
Other activities related to project management
- Regional contact point for FP6
- National Contact point for NMP Priority in FP7
- Member in the Program Committee for NMP Priority in FP7;
- Regional contact point for Horizon 2020;
- Evaluator for Romanian National projects;
- Invited as evaluator for FP7 (2 evaluations) and Horizon 2020 (2 evaluations)
Experience in European research projects
Within “P. Poni” Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Iasi, Romania
- FP7 CSA 221897 Discover Europe (Discover Europe - Romanian mobility center initiative to strengthen ERA-MORE ) (2008-2011),
- FP6 NoE: Intelligent Production Machines and Systems (I-PROMS) 2005-2008, Romanian coordinator, Project Coordinator, Cardiff University, UK
- Romanian Coordinator for : CLG NATO Rapid Detection and Classification of Chemicals using Artificial Intelligence (2007-2009), Project in cooperation with Oxford University, UK
Project management (team member):
- FP6- INCO CSA 17142 RAINS (2005-2008): Romanian Action for Integrating, Networking and Strengthening the European Research Area
- FP6 CSA 513461 Romob (Romanian Mobility Centre ) 2005-2008 ; Coordinator Romanian Agency for Scientific Research
- Project „The European Social Fund – Cristofor I. Simionescu Postdoctoral scholarship programme” - ID 55216, (2010-2013)
Within EC DG R&D Unit B3 Research Infrastructures - Project officer for several FP7 I3 and CSA projects concerning Research Infrastructures of Pan European importance in the field of: chemistry, nanotechnology, energy, environment, physics:
- ECCSEL - European Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage Laboratory Infrastructure,
- ICOS - Integrated Carbon Observation System
- IMECC - Infrastructure for Measurement of the European Carbon Cycle
- SOPHIA - SOlar PHotovoltaic European Research Infrastructure,
- EUROCHAMP 2 - Integration of European Simulation Chambers for Investigating Atmospheric Processes
- ESMI - European Soft Matter Infrastructure;
- SPIRIT - Support of Public and Industrial Research using Ion Beam Technology
- BRISK - The European Research Infrastructure for Thermo-Chemical Biomass Conversion
- EUMINAfab—Integrating European research infrastructures for micro-nano fabrication of functional structures and devices out of a knowledge-based multimaterials’ repertoire;
- ESTEEM - Distributed European Infrastructure of Advanced Electron Microscopy for Nanoscience,
- QNano - pan-European infrastructure for quality in nanomaterials safety testing;
- NFFA - Nanoscience Foundries and Fine Analysis
- EUSAAR - EUropean Supersites for Atmospheric Aerosol Research
Established in February 1949, the “Petru Poni” Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry has a sixty years tradition in fundamental and applied research in organic and inorganic chemistry and polymer science. The Institute is located in Iasi, the historical capital of the North East Region (NER) of Romania, a convergence European Region. PPIMC is an Institute of Excellence of the Romanian Academy and, based on annual evaluations, the last five years was ranked in the first/second position among the 65 institutes/centres of the Romanian Academy. This leading position is internationally recognised – the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI), Philadelphia, USA, lists the Institute among the “main Romanian actors on the international scientific scene”; in fact, the Institute holds the first position in Romania in the ISI classification as a research institute.
In the last years, by accessing different national programs and FP7 projects, PPIMC managed to strongly improve its research capacity. More than 80 on-going projects, of a total value of about 14 M Euro, were managed by the institute last years.
PPIMC functions as a coordinator for joint national and international projects and was appointed by the Romanian Ministry of Education, Research and Innovation as a Regional Contact Point for FP6/FP7 projects and National Contact Point for NMP Priority. Since 2007 the Institute also hosts the NE Romanian Regional centre for EURAXESS
Two laboratories for the certification of polymeric materials, including nanosized materials, are already organized in PPIMC and received the accreditation of RENAR, the Romanian Agency for Standardisation.
The structure of the staff (a total of 283 persons, including PhD students) is as follows: researchers – 129 (11 PhD promoters); PhD students – 56; technical and administrative personnel – 98 (19 possessing university degrees). The personnel less than 35 years old represent 30%.
The Institute is organised in 9 basic research departments, focussing on organic and polymer science, and 3 applied research departments dealing with the synthesis of new polymers and with the preparation of new polymeric materials. The institute is well equipped for structural characterisation of organic compounds and polymers, as well as for the investigation of polymeric materials.
- New synthetic polymers, functional polymers, polysiloxanes, thermally stable polymers, polyelectrolytes, polyurethanes;
- Chemical modification of natural polymers, high added value polymeric materials issued from biomass;
- Bioactive and biocompatible polymers;
- Solution and solid state properties of multicomponent systems;
- Environment protection and energy conservation.
The good reputation of the Institute, its increasing activity as well as its position on the international scientific scene is documented by the following results:
- more than 1500 scientific papers (most of them in international journals) and more than 50 books/book chapters (most of them in foreign editing houses) published the last ten years,
- 30% of the publications are co-authored by foreign researchers,
- 8 recognized scientists of the Institute are members of Editorial/Advisory Boards of foreign journals, i.e., Carbohydrate Polymers, European Polymer Journal, High Performance Polymers, International Journal of Polymeric Materials, and Revue Roumaine de Chimie and other national journals,
- more than 10 scientists are members of renowned academic societies, i.e. American Chemical Society, European Scientific Association of Material Forming, International Academy of Wood Science, European Academy of Sciences and Arts, Romanian Academy,
- since 2005, the Institute gained through competition more than 150 national projects, 3 projects in FP6, 6 projects in FP7; 6 other projects with European financing are unrolled
- awards of the Romanian Academy, Ministry of Education, Research and Innovation, gold medals for innovation (Brussels, Moscow, Geneve); the Institute is yearly ranked (2005 – 2008) on the second/third position in Romania on the list of the “most innovative high education/research institutions”,
- yearly, more than 250 presentations in scientific meetings,
- participation to national/international conferences, e.g. 285/134 (2012),
The Institute is/was involved in about 100 international cooperation projects.
- Curriculum Vitae
BSc & MSc chemical engineer Macromolecular Chemistry; “Gh. Asachi” Technical University, Iasi, Romania, Faculty of Industrial Chemistry 2000-2009: PhD in chemistry Thesis title: “Computational methods applied in macromolecular chemistry”; “Gh. Asachi” Technical University, Iasi, Romania, Faculty of Industrial Chemistry 2006-2008: MA in Project Management Proposal preparation, partner search, project evaluation, project management, quality assurance; “Al. I Cuza”, University, Iasi, Romania, Faculty of Public Administration and Business since 1994: Scientific research, “Petru Poni” Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Iasi, Romania 2009-2013: Detached as SNE to European Commission DG R&D unit B4 Research Infrastructures, Brussels, Belgium