Description of job and tasks involved
Budgeting, financial reporting and financial management support for EU Marie Curie Projects, other internationally supported projects and national supported projects are my main responsibilities at Koç University.
I am responsible of giving support to the researchers from project application phase to financial reporting. I study budgeting rules of the projects to get detailed information, prepare all financial reports during the project periods.
I’m working in coordination with Office of the Comptroller, Human Resources Department and Procurement Department by informing them on the new rules of the project application in terms of financial aspects and the rules and procedures of the university. I am giving recommendations for process change when there is a grand budgetary scale change in the rules and regulations of the funding authorities.
In detail I am responsible for;
- Follow up the updates on Project application and guidance documents of funding authorities
- provide information and give detailed explanation for various type of funds for intended applicants as well as the university staff in accounting department, human resources and purchasing department.
- ask correct questions to the applicants to overview all cost cathegories related to project activities during application preparation phase
- Inform the applicant about the rules and procedures within the university for the implementation of the Project
- Prepare workshops for the faculty on how to prepare and manage project budget
- Overview all the projects in terms of budget and related activities and appove for submission.
- Plan the management of the budget with the Project coordinator (faculty staff) after the grant agreemtent is signed.
- Act as mediator to resolve conflicts between funding agency and the universit and faculty.
- Help finding solutions on the deviation from the budget during Project application phase
- Preparing financial reports to the funding authorities
I am working with the Financial Comptroller Office, Human Resources and Purchasing department to:
- guide the financial phase of projects with budgetary detail
- ensure accurate accounting of income and expenditures on sponsored projects
- prepare contracts related to the personel hired to work for the project
- complete and submit financial reporting required and the documentation by sponsors
- supervise reconciliation and closeout
- organize meeting to improve administrative process management within the universities departments for project management.
Experience in European research projects
FP7 –Marie Curie IRG, CIG, IEF, IOF, IIF, ITN and IAPP projects.
Management of 36 projects of which 23 currently active.
Koç University (KU) is an endowed, non-profit institution of higher education, located in Istanbul, Turkey. Founded in 1993 by the Vehbi Koç Foundation, KU is a leading research university, attracting accomplished, and high-calibre researchers from all over the world. Majority (97%) of KU faculty have Ph.D.’s selective and reputable universities mainly in the US and Europe. As of 2013 academic year, Koç University has an enrolment of over 5500 students with over 470 faculty members. The modern campus buildings are equipped with state of the art classrooms, teaching laboratories, research laboratories, library, and computer facilities. The University maintains close and strong relations with Universities in Europe and the U.S. through collaborative efforts including joint seminars, academic programs, and research projects.
Koc University started to participate in EU projects since FP6. Between 2004 and 2013, 453 R&D projects were funded at KU by external donors. By the end of 2013, KU has secured 34 Marie Curie grants under EC’s FP7-PEOPLE Programme, and now hosts 3 of the 6 active ERC Grants in Turkey. As of March 2014, under FP6, FP7 and IPA programs, KU researchers partnered with consortia in 25 different projects. KU is the fourth most active organization (third among universities) of the FP7 Programme in Turkey.
The administration support for research projects is given through purchasing department, Human Resources, Accounting and Research, Project Development and Technology Transfer Directorate. Koç University uses accrual base accounting since 1993 and SAP as ERP system since 2011. The data control and reporting is facilitated by the SAP system is helping the project coordinator and the administration to follow up the project budget individually.
- Curriculum Vitae
BSc Degree, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey, Faculty of Civil Engineering 1995-1997: MSc Degree, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey, Civil Engineering Department , Cost&Benefit Anaysis 1995-1999: Research Assistant, Transportation Engineering Department, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey 1998-1999: Financial Reporter, Financial Planning and Control Department, Denizbank H.Q. 1999-2002: Assistant Inspector, Inspection Council, Denizbank H.Q. 2002: Inspector, Inspection Council, Denizbank H.Q. 2003: Executive Assistant of General Manager, Reckitt Benckiser, Istanbul 2005-2011: Executive Assistant of General Secretary, Koç University , General Secretary 2012: Administrative Specialist, Koç University , Administrative Affairs since 2012: Senior Grants Financial Specialist, Koç University , Research, Project Development and Technology Transfer Directorate