Description of job and tasks involved
Legal Counsel within TechTransfer Office, providing legal advice to UGent researchers and business developers:
- Contract support: review, drafting and negotiation of various type of agreements, in different sectors and in different stages of a research project: NDA, MTA, MoU…, consortium agreements, collaboration agreements, subcontracting agreements, license agreements, IP management agreements, transfer agreements
- EU state aid law: screening of and advising on how to re-structure research proposals for Structural funds (e.g. ERDF) in order to be compliant with EU state aid law
- screening project proposals on valorisation and exploitation opportunities
- providing training courses for researchers and business developers within UGent about various topics: IP awareness, state aid, writing impact-section of a proposal
Experience in European research projects
• Horizon 2020
• European Regional Development Fund
• Joint Technology Initiatives (JTI)
• Joint Programming Initiative (JPI)
Ghent University defines itself as “A Creative Community for a Changing World”.
A creative community...: Ghent University wants a creative community of staff, students, and alumni connected by our common values commitment, openness and pluralism. Our community is a network of interacting individuals who are committed to offer quality education, to do cutting-edge research and to contribute to society from a unique scientific expertise.
... for ...: Ghent University focuses actively on the world and is committed to serving its stakeholders (students, staff, alumni, industry, society,...). We respond to questions and needs of society and take an inspiring proactive role in seeking solutions to major societal challenges.
...a changing world: Ghent University is aware of the changes in society and acts in the perspective of a sustainable future. We situate our activities in a geographical context that extends from the local to the global level.
As part of the central administration, the Research Department is responsible for advising and supporting the professors and researchers in their efforts to do research. Within the Research Departments, three units are defined: the university library office, the Technology transfer office and the Research co-ordination office.
2014-present: Legal Counsel, Ghent University, TechTransfer Office 2008-2014: Legal Counsel, Nuance Communications International
Trainee (lawyer), law office Vlaemminck & Partners